Today was our first full day at the Nez Perce mission site. Our group was split into two groups to do two different types of service work. Half of us planned "Kids Club," a VBS-style day camp for the children of the community, and half of us did work projects. I asked a student from each group to write a little bit about their experiences from the day. Here's what they said!
Kids Club:
I had an exciting day in Kids Club today. I really made a connection with one of the kids; his name was Quinton and we went through all the stations together, we played "Duck Duck Goose", and read princess books, and made paper princesses at the art station. Quinton was four years old and it was a great experience to connect with and play with him today in Kids Club.
-Maggie Thunselle
Work Projects:
Today we went out and did some yard work in front of the church that we are staying at, the Lapwai Assembly of God Church. It was hot and we had over 15 gallons of water to drink. And we shoveled SIX TONS of rock (Note from Taryn: not an exaggeration!!!). It took six hours and ten people to do it. The hot wind and the sun would not go away. At the end of the day, I was tired but it was all worth it. And it looked good.
-TJ Huntley
Note from Taryn:
The theme from today was "Brokenness." In our conversations and devotional time, we explored what the brokenness is and where God is through it. Today we were reminded that all of us have been broken because of sin. And as we seek to help others in the places they are lost, Jesus wants us to remember our own sin. Understanding that we are just as broken as other people on different walks helps us to approach service and loving others with a humble attitude. When we see that we are no better than anyone else, we are able to share the love of Jesus and be the hands and feet of Christ in all that we do.
I am super excited to say that we are now a group of 9! Anastasia flew into the Lewiston airport at midnight and we are so excited she is now here and able to share in this experience with us! God is doing some amazing things in our group and I'm loving all the wonderfully positive comments I'm receiving from other adult leaders and the YouthWorks staff about our group. I keep hearing from them how sweet, kind, hard-working, and positive the youth from our group are. Be proud of the great work these young'uns are doing! I'm constantly reminded of how blessed I am to be working with this fantastic group and I love watching them grow.
Stay tuned for updates about Tuesday!
Blessings,
Taryn
Good job kids and thank you for all your hard work. I'm glad Anastasia could make it.
ReplyDelete